Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Restoration of Stephen Baldwin

http://www.restorestephenbaldwin.org/

I couldn't make this up. Why would I even want to make this up? So, apparently Christians love a comeback story (who doesn't, right?) and a particular group of them has decided to invest all its money and faith in seeing Stephen Baldwin return to where he belongs: Playing third fiddle behind brothers Alec and Adam, who at least has stayed busy with two successful cult TV shows in "Chuck" and "Firefly".

Stephen has been through his share of rough times. I get that. I don't care if he's found peace in God, Jehovah, or even the Book of Mormon; as long as he's truly dedicating himself to being a better human being and reforming some semblance of a career, that is something we can all support. However, to establish a website and a foundation built around raising loads of money for him, simply to lift him up and rub it in the faces of every rational person who ever doubted him, is damn nigh to Scientology. That's not God at work. That's simply piggybacking off of a Baldwin's past success in hopes of using it to exploit the gullability of the naive.

I'll only be convinced that a miracle of heavenly proportions has taken place if, at the end of all of this, the "saved" Stephen Baldwin can suddenly act. I mean, it's pretty damn pitiful when you're only the second most successful person to come out of the show "The Young Riders" (Josh Brolin being the first, and don't even try to argue that with me, regardless of how "Jonah Hex" does). All in all, we're talking about a man whose career can be best summarized by a CSI cameo, several terrible action/sci-fi romps, and a respectable supporting role in "The Usual Suspects".

Let's say that tomorrow Lindsay Lohan gets her shit together and stops blaming everyone but herself for all her trouble. Even if I were a Christian, that doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and suddenly buy the deluxe, three-disc special edition of "Mean Girls" or revisit her short-lived pop career (more like "popped" career...sorry to burst your bubble). Being a Christian doesn't mean that one cannot have taste. I would applaud Stephen Baldwin for his newfound conviction to better himself, but I'm not going to throw money at him and call his "restoration" proof of God's divine plan. The thought of a supreme entity being operating through those kinds of channels is simply too terrifying for me to comprehend.

Besides, I'd rather throw money at Robert Downey Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment